books, books, books

I saw this meme on Amanda's blog, and decided to steal it for myself. :-)

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?
I generally don't have a preference, since I buy most of my books used. I will most likely choose the cheapest option. However, if it's something special I want to keep, then I'll go for the hardback.

Online purchase or brick and mortar?
I love Amazon and get most of my books from there. I do like walking around bookstores, though. I will buy books on clearance from stores.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
I really have no preference. Aren't they the same store? ;-)

Bookmark or dog-ear?
Oooh I hate dog-eared books! I always use a bookmark. Usually whatever is lying around. It's not too uncommon to see me using a piece of Kleenex as a bookmark. :-)

Mark or not mark?
I like to mark my Bible and I did underline my college textbooks, but just normal reading-for-pleasure books I tend to leave clean & pure.

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
I usually group my books by subject.

Keep, throw away, or sell?
Well it depends how often I am moving. There is no better way to pare down your unnecessary books than to move a lot! I tend to keep everything, though.

Keep dustjacket or toss it?
I usually keep it, unless it's not in good condition. When I worked at the library in college, I would cover the dust jackets that I particularly liked.

Read with dustjacket or remove it?
I always remove it. I'm scared of bending the edges of the dust jacket and causing it to look ratty.

Short story or novel?
Novel.

Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)?
I really don't have a preference!

Lord of the Rings or Narnia?
Narnia Narnia Narnia. :-) Although Lord of the Rings certainly isn't bad.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Chapter breaks. I need some sort of closure.

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
I think I prefer the former - it's more dramatic.

Buy or Borrow?
Depends on what kind of book and if I'll get a future use out of it. If it's something I will want to refer to often, or something I want to take my time reading, then I'll buy.

New or used?
It doesn't matter as long as the book is in good shape!

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?
Either recommendation or browse. I rarely read reviews, unless they're written by someone I know. (As in, I'll read a review on a blog, but not necessarily by a professional reviewer for a newspaper.)

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
I can't stand loose ends not being wrapped up. So tidy ending unless it's just a part of a series.

Morning reading, afternoon reading or night time reading?
Nighttime reading, right before bed. Unfortunately Paul doesn't like the light on and he always goes to sleep before me... Must come up with a solution for that...

Standalone or series?
Either, as long as the series is ended in an appropriate time.

Favorite series?
Anne of Green Gables. Chronicles of Narnia is a close second.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Hmm how to choose... Letters Never Sent by Ruth Van Reken really, really impacted me... Oh and I'm a HUGE fan of Mary Stewart! My favorite is definitely The Moon-Spinners. When I was younger, I really enjoyed Enid Blyton's Adventure series. They were great! Now I want to read them again...

Favorite books read last year?
Hmm... Well it's hard to say. I really liked The Cat Who Came for Christmas. And I finally finished the Anne of Green Gables series, although technically I read the last book or two in 2007. :-) I also found Taking Charge of Your Fertility really eye opening.

Favorite book of all time?
Anne of Green Gables.

Three questions I am surprised not to see . . .

Fiction or NonFiction?
It depends if I am reading for pleasure or for research. For pleasure I enjoy fiction, especially historical fiction. If I'm trying to learn something, then I will pick up and enjoy a nonfiction. Nonfiction books that I read for pleasure are biographies and historical events.

One book at a time or have several in process at the same time?
Usually only one, although I will have several sitting out waiting to be read.

Crack the spine or leave it unbroken?
Hmm I seriously never think about this. I guess I like the book to remain as pretty and untouched as possible, but I also hate reading a book where it takes all my finger strength just to keep the pages open.

Yeah, that's right, we are bibliophiles--not just readers, book-lovers.

ashley's signature

7 Comments:

  1. twiga92 said...
    Ooh, Anne of Green Gables is one of my all-time favorite series. I used to read them over and over when I was younger. And I was a big fan of Enid Blyton too. On the mission field, one of the single ladies would read the Faraway Tree books to us MKs. It was great fun.
    A Dusty Frame said...
    :) Fun. I'm a book lover too!
    Anne is right up there with some of the best books ever;)
    Anonymous said...
    it was fun to read your answers! :)

    I didn't meet Anne of Green Gables till I was a senior in college--and then it was only in video form.

    It looks like I need to get my hands on copies of the books.

    Happy Wednesday! :)
    ashley said...
    I thought the Anne of Green Gables movie was a pretty good depiction of the book (compared to some movies out there!). Of course, the delight of Anne comes with LM Montgomery's beautiful style of writing, which is impossible to capture in a movie! I would heartily recommend the book!

    Anne of Green Gables was the very first book report I ever wrote - when I was 6. It was also the last book report I did my senior year of high school. :-) The latter was fun because I had to look at Anne critically through the eyes of an adult. I served raspberry cordial to my class and got an A on my report. :-)
    ashley said...
    Debi: Oooh I haven't heard of the Faraway Tree books! But they sound like something I would have enjoyed (after doing a quick Google search and reading a bit about them)! I really loved the Enid Blyton books we had, though I haven't read any since I was a girl.
    Kara Dekker said...
    Hi, I found your site through a comment on Renewed Day By Day.
    Being a booklover myself, I always enjoy reading about other's favorites. :)
    ashley said...
    Hi Kara! Thanks for stopping by. Hooray for books! :-)

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.