Resolutions

I usually seem to make half-hearted attempts at resolutions, wearing out before January has gone. With my resolutions this year, I have the same gusto, but as I plan on posting about my progress, I hope I will keep on track! Along with spending more time growing as a child of the Lord and appreciating my family more, I am going to Celebrate a Year of Abundance. As I mentioned before, this idea has struck such a chord with me that I had to jump on the bandwagon.

Like Sallie, I don't want to do this to limit and deprive myself. That is not the point, although on the surface it may look that way. I want to cut back so I can appreciate what I do have, and I have so much!

I plan on adopting this Depression-era motto for this coming year:

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Do without

Since lists tend to help organize my thoughts and keep me on track, I thought I'd post some of the ways that I plan on celebrating this year of abundance:

1. Cut back on clothing purchases, and sew my own clothes instead. This would cut back significantly in clothing costs, and it's always great to learn a new skill!

2. I love doing crafty stuff, especially knitting, quilting, and cross-stitching. I have so many projects started (and not finished!) or the supplies in storage that I could easily keep myself occupied for a year without buying any more.

3. Drink tea instead of coffee. I have quite a collection of black and green tea in my pantry, but instead I buy coffee every morning. I plan on drinking all this tea instead. And it might take me a year to do it.

4. Bring lunch to work instead of buying it.

5. Go through all my old stuff that I never use and give it away.

This list isn't meant to be exhaustive, and it's only a starting point. To me, this will be more about a change in mindset than a set of rules. I don't want to be legalistic about this. Instead, I want to celebrate the Lord and all His blessings in my life. I think it's so wonderful to use the resources God has given us wisely, and I can't wait to get started!

beth's signature

4 Comments:

  1. ashley said...
    Good luck with this, Beth! I may jump on the bandwagon as well. Spending money has become a recent addiction for me... On our honeymoon, I bought a little trinket at literally every shop we stopped at. Now when I look at all the knick-knacks lying around I sigh and wonder where I'm going to put it. I think I'll come up with some resolutions myself.
    Amy said...
    Sounds like fun Beth! My resolution is to start going to bed at a decent time every night :)
    Keziah said...
    I am also planning to live by that motto this year. While I have been clearing out cupboards, I have found so many things that I had forgotten about it - I really need to remember that I don't need more.
    C. H. Green said...
    Nice blog. I'm glad I stopped by.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.