Beautiful Glossy Catalogs

I usually don't get so excited about such things, but today I received not one, but TWO seed catalogs. Beautiful catalogs with gorgeous pictures of all the stuff I could grow if I only had a back yard.

Perusing seed catalogs would be so much more enjoyable, however, snuggled up with a blanket, a kitty in my lap, and a cracking fire in the grate. A steaming mug of hot cocoa in my hands would complete this magical picture. But, alas, that will never happen as it is 80 degrees here today. *sigh*

My favorite catalog comes with the most delightful descriptions of the vegetable seeds they sell. Each one sounds precious and like a priceless work of art. I can imagine myself picking the most earthy-flavored beans, or harvesting the crispest lettuce, or pulling up the most succulent carrots. Each of these would be prepared in the most delicious way and served outside on my back terrace with jazz music and red wine. Okay a girl can dream a little can't she? :-)

I know I'm romanticizing gardening just a wee bit, as I leave out all the hard work. Scanning the catalogs and picking out seeds is just a sliver of the work involved in growing your own food. I look forward to this opportunity someday, but for now I am content to dream.

Above is a picture of my sad little tomato plant

beth's signature

3 Comments:

  1. Joanna said...
    Beth, I know what you mean. I got my first two seed catalogs, and was leafing through them with the same magical anticipation and dreaming. Such fun!

    I really need to plan my garden.
    Beth said...
    Joanna,
    This will be your first summer in your new house, right? If it was me, I would be really excited to get started in the garden too!
    Anonymous said...
    I would recommend "A Severe Mercy" by Sheldon Vanauken

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.