Gardening in the Fall

While autumn is officially here, it hasn't cooled off much here in Texas. The days are still hot and sticky, and nights are the only time that one can notice that fall just might possibly be in the air.

My garden is starting to look a little more chipper, since my rose bush is finally starting to flesh out after being droopy for the past few months. I even got a rose on it last week. I decide to start some tomato and basil seeds a few weeks ago, and I now have really cute seedlings to show for it. In most areas of the country it would be crazy to start seedlings in late August, but I think I have discovered the secret to Texas gardening--summer is not a viable growing season. Who knew? Fall is the time for many summer plants. We'll see how my seeds do once the weather cools off a bit.

I someday dream of having a large garden of my own, where I can grow all of our own produce for fresh eating and putting up for the winter. I finally decided this year to try growing some veggies, just to get a sense of how it should go. I have just put lettuce and carrot seeds into large pots, so we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping I am not to early on the lettuce.

Maybe next time my rose blooms I'll post some pictures. My balcony garden is really starting to come alive!


beth's signature

1 Comment:

  1. chenmeinv0 said...

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.