Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

I found this recipe in a recent Taste of Home magazine, and have fallen in love with them! Hubby actually prefers these to regular chocolate chip cookies. Not only that, but this recipe is also cheap to make (it's in the bargain meals section). Taste of Home estimates that it would cost $3.60 to make the recipe according to directions (which I'm not actually sure is cheaper than regular ones or not), but one could easily save more by finding items on sale.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 Tbls molasses
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oats (I use regular oats; they work fine)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in molasses, egg, and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt: gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.

Roll into 1 1/2 inch balls.* Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack. Makes ~1 1/2 dozen cookies

*After forming the balls, I freeze them in freezer bags, since the 2 of us cannot finish a whole pan of cookies by ourselves. I pull out however many frozen cookies I want to bake, and extend the baking time by 3-4 minutes. They still come out great!
beth's signature

1 Comment:

  1. Joanna said...
    I'm a fan of only cooking things I have all the ingredients on-hand for, and I believe this fits the bill. I'll have to try them.
    My husband talks about loving his grandmother's "cowboy cookies" which, from my research, are basically chocolate-chip-oatmeal cookies.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.