Lambs and Innocence

"He tends His flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in His arms
and carries them close to His heart;
He gently leads those that have young."
- Isaiah 40:11
The Bible often compares us to sheep, and the Lord is our Shepherd. If that is the case, then lambs are our children - the young, innocent (naive) ones who don't yet know how evil the world can be. Little lambs, with small bleating cries and unsteady legs, keeping close to their mothers who provide safety and security. Little lambs, who were the Jewish symbol of sacrifice and atonement, being the innocent (not guilty) ones who paid the cost of our sin. Christ is called the Lamb of God, showing His innocence and His sacrifice.

But lambs aren't just symbols of sacrifice, but also symbols of the littlest among us. We're flocks of sheep, following our master, looking for the best and most tasty grass. Along the way, lambs join our flock, which delights our Master. Lambs are the most vulnerable of us all, prey to wolves and other predatory animals who watch closely. For this reason, our Shepherd pays special attention to the lambs. He carries them close to His heart, not letting go because He knows the lamb is safer there. He keeps the mothers close to Him so He can keep an eye on them. And aren't we scared sometimes? Do we hear the howling of the wolves from oh the not-so-great distance? Yet a hand comes down to rest on our wooly heads, comforting us. A scarred hand, a broken hand - a symbol of the sacrifice that was paid. Without that, we would be next in line for the altar, because our sinful hearts could not get us into heaven.

The beauty of lambs is that we are not stuck in a sinful rut forever. Because of the Lamb's innocence, we have been given a gift - a wonderful, beautiful gift of eternal life. And as we take care of our husbands and our families, we can be assured that our Shepherd will keep us close to Him, not letting us go. After all, He paid the price so we could live, so He won't let us go.

I have a natural affinity to lambs and sheep. In Spanish, my last name means "lamb". The coat of arms has five dancing sheep on it. (Um... yes...) I am His little lamb. He loves me that much. I like that verse in Isaiah, because it reminds me of how near my Savior keeps me. And because of Christ's sacrifice, our sins are washed away as if we are innocent of any wrong-doing, and we are able to enter heaven.

Thank You, Jesus, for Your sinlessness and being the sacrificial lamb so I can live with You in eternity.
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters,

He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for His name's sake.

Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

- Psalm 23:1-6

This piece was written as a submission for the Carnival of Beauty: The Beauty of Innocence.

ashley's signature

3 Comments:

  1. Bethany said...
    Lovely post! :D
    chenmeinv0 said...
    jasonbob said...

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.