Practicing Hospitality: Banana Bread

I may not be much of a cook, but I do love to bake. When I was growing up, my mother would always make banana bread and give it to our neighbors or people just moving to town. I remember many a day, wrapping up banana bread in saran-wrap or foil to take to someone. I hope to continue the tradition on my own. This weekend, I made banana bread and brought some with me to visit my dear friends, the Garrisons. I used my new mini loaf pan that I got from Pampered Chef. It makes the cutest little loaves that are perfect for giving away. Here is the banana bread recipe I use:

Banana Bread
1/2 cup shortening or 1/3 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1-2 beaten eggs, optional
2-3 bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon of lemon juice, optional
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves, or nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine shortening, sugar, and water. Then add eggs, bananas, and lemon juice. Combine separately and add flour, salt, baking soda, spices, and vanilla. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 375 F for 45-60 minutes.
The result is delicious! You can also add chopped nuts, but I usually avoid that since so many people are allergic to nuts.

I think overall, the point is to practice hospitality. Whether you bring banana bread, or just a kind word, it is much appreciated!
"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:8-10

-----------------------------------
Note: This is a reprint of a post from last August as a submission for the Carnival of Beauty.

ashley's signature

7 Comments:

  1. Brie said...
    Hi, I'm going to try bot the chicken recipe and the banana bread recipe for tonight.

    I came across your blog just today.

    I'm newly married. My website is: www.drewandbrie.com

    Blessings, Brie
    Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...
    Gee, I wonder what got you thinking about banana break ... er... bread today? Hehe.

    Mine didn't turn out as I'd hoped. I used a recipe that called for molasses because I had some left over from ginger cookies. It made the bread very very dark, and gave it a flavor that just doesn't ring true to traditional banana bread. Maybe I'll try yours next time. As soon as you let me borrow that fancy Pampered Chef stoneware you got there. I'm sure that makes allll the difference.
    ashley said...
    Brie: Welcome! Please come back again and comment! :-)

    Actually, Beth, I posted this before you told me that you were making banana bread! That's why I was so surprised. I'd been planning to write this post several days now, and then when I finally got the recipe I wanted, I was like "Hmm I'm having deja-vu..." And sure enough, I had already written the post! Hence the reprint. :-)
    Keziah said...
    We don't use cups for here, but I am going to need to find some to try out all these great recipes! Sounds tasty!

    A question about the oil - is it vegetable oil or sunflower oil you use?
    ashley said...
    Keziah: I actually use Crisco (shortening) but when I don't have any of that, I use vegetable oil. The original recipe actually has metric measurements in it; I'll look it up when I get home and update this post for your benefit. :-)
    Kim Anderson said...
    Ahh! Hospitality! Have you ever entertained angels with this recipe - that you know of? Or do they just go away feeling like they've bitten down on heaven?
    ashley said...
    Thanks, Kim! As far as I know I haven't entertained angels but you never know. :-)

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.