Practicing Hospitality: Banana Bread

I may not be much of a cook, but I do love to bake. When I was growing up, my mother would always make banana bread and give it to our neighbors or people just moving to town. I remember many a day, wrapping up banana bread in saran-wrap or foil to take to someone. I hope to continue the tradition on my own. This weekend, I made banana bread and brought some with me to visit my dear friends, the Garrisons. I used my new mini loaf pan that I got from Pampered Chef. It makes the cutest little loaves that are perfect for giving away. Here is the banana bread recipe I use:

Banana Bread
1/2 cup shortening or 1/3 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1-2 beaten eggs, optional
2-3 bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon of lemon juice, optional
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves, or nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine shortening, sugar, and water. Then add eggs, bananas, and lemon juice. Combine separately and add flour, salt, baking soda, spices, and vanilla. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 375 F for 45-60 minutes.
The result is delicious! You can also add chopped nuts, but I usually avoid that since so many people are allergic to nuts.

I think overall, the point is to practice hospitality. Whether you bring banana bread, or just a kind word, it is much appreciated!
"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:8-10

ashley's signature

7 Comments:

  1. Susan said...
    And, for anyone interested, she used *gasp* white flour and *gasp* real sugar. And it tasted really good! (says the girl who always makes "healthy" banana bread that just isn't quite as tasty ;). . . )
    Beth said...
    Mmmm. Yummy! I'll have to try making bread instead of just throwing away the bananas nobody wants. :-)
    ashley said...
    Yes! You have to use bananas after they're all brown and mushy (I probably should have written that in the recipe).

    So, Susan, did it taste good? We haven't tried it yet. :-p
    Beth said...
    Oh! I wanted to ask--what size loaf pan do you need for the recipe?
    Anonymous said...
    Ashley,
    Yes! It was delicious! Thanks a bunch! It didn't last long here. ;-)

    -Meg G
    ashley said...
    It just said "loaf pan". Since I don't have one, I always used an 8x8 which worked pretty well. Now I have the mini loaf pan, and that's a perfect size. See, I'm helpful! ;-)
    Susan said...
    Yes, it was good :), as Mother Dear said. And most banana bread recipes are for one regular size loaf pan, so you could use that instead of an 8x8, Beth.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.