Messages In the Dust

These past few weeks have been very difficult for me. On top of recurring headaches and the beginning of a cold, I have been very busy at work and just overall stressed and tired. I have practically crashed every evening without doing anything around the house, or even going grocery shopping.

Our small apartment is looking a little worse for the wear, as evidenced by my desire to lay down every evening instead of cleaning. My not-so-tidy husband isn't bothered by the mess as much as I am, but it drives me nuts. My perfectionist tendencies want my home to look like a picture from a magazine.

A few years ago, I was visiting my dear friend Beth at her old house before she and her husband moved to Texas. As I was walking through the house, I spotted a small inscription written in the dust on a small table: "I (heart) Stu". At the time, I thought it was so sweet and I wondered about the smile on her husband's face when he saw her little note.

But now, I see it in a different light. Perhaps Beth could have been a Super Wife and kept their house Super Clean all the time. However, there would be no dust to leave special little "I love you" messages. So perhaps some dust isn't all bad. Often the beauties of life are made up of the seemingly "imperfections".

Thank you, Beth, for the little dust message that you inadvertantly left with me. :-) And no one please misunderstand me about Beth's housecleaning abilities - she is a wonderful housekeeper, and her home is warm and inviting. And if you're like me - tired and frustrated about not achieving perfection, I challenge you to reevaluate what really is the important thing in life, and go from there! :-)

ashley's signature

3 Comments:

  1. Beth said...
    Hehe. I'm surprised you remember that.

    Thanks so much for your post. I always need to be reminded that I can never be the "perfect housekeeper," though sometimes I regrettably try. We shouldn't make having a perfectly clean house the end goal--glorifying our Father and honoring our husbands should be the reason we clean instead.
    Susan said...
    What a good reminder :). Thanks for this. I remember hearing of an elderly couple who for years played a game where they took turns secretly writing SHMILY wherever they could - dust, on a piece of paper, in sprinkled flour, the fog on a mirror, etc. - and waiting for the other to find it. SHMILY = see how much I love you. I thought that was sweet :). Anyway, this sort of reminded me of that.
    Amy said...
    I hear you Ashley! I never seem to be able to keep up with the housework around here. But, if I try to be the "perfect" housekeeper I become a very grumpy person. As my mother often quotes to me, "Cleaning the house while the children are growing is like shovelling the driving while it's still snowing." I've shovelled a lot of driveways so I know the truth of this one, lol!

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.