"A Day of Infamy"



We can't believe it's been 5 years since that tragic day. Like all Americans, we remember exactly where we each were on that Tuesday morning. We want to share our stories so that no one forgets about this day:

Beth's story:

Sept. 11, 2001
I had an appointment in the Career Center of my college at 8:30 (a requirement for all freshmen), and right when it was about to end, 2 girls came running in to the room yelling, "We've been attacked! An airplane just hit the World Trade Center!" The rest of my appointment was cancelled, so I went back to my dorm. I checked my e-mail on the computers in the lounge, and every headline on Yahoo! was about the planes that had hit the Towers. I remember being in a fog until an emergency chapel was called at 11:00.

Dr. Graham (the chaplin) read off the shocking news--Not only had both towers been hit, but both had collapsed due to the damage. An unknown amount of people were killed or trapped in the rubble. Afterwards, classes were cancelled so the students, faculty, and staff could pray. I remember walking back from that chapel in utter shock. I remember seeing students praying together on benches outside on the way back to my dorm. My hallmates and I gathered together afterwards and prayed. I don't remember much after this. The rest of the day is a complete fog.

I know I must have watched the coverage on TV. I remember watching it, but I have no idea when. I also remember that every radio station in Chattanooga was playing the news stories as they broke out, and many had made montages with clips of the news footage playing over a song. I remember listening while in bed, trying to fall asleep.

Now, 5 years later, I'm so thankful that the Lord has protected our country from another attack. Even if we are hit again, it is comforting to know that God is in control. I continue to pray for the families and loved ones affected by the tragedy, and I hope that many have come and will come to know the Lord through this trial.

The title for this post came from the headline of my college's newspaper, published a few days later.

------

Ashley's story:

Tuesday, September 11th, 2001.
I was fairly new to the country. I had moved to the States the previous July, and had only started college in Indiana two weeks before. I remember being in the bathroom on my floor of my dorm, getting ready for my first class of the day. It was around 9:00am. I was washing my face and Heather runs in, a look of horror on her face. "A plane just hit the World Trade Center!" What? A plane? I was confused. I pestered Heather for more details, but only got that it was terrorists.

My only comment was: "I thought I left Peru."

We ran downstairs to the TV in the lounge. There were a bunch of us there, I remember. Everyone was glued to the TV. We actually watched live as the second plane hit the tower and made it fall. I also remember hearing about a plane that went down in Pennsylvania. My friend Melissa was working the front desk and I remembered that she was from PA. I ran over and told her, and ran back to the TV to get more information.

I had to drag myself away from the TV when it was time to go to class at 10. It was our Freshman Orientation class, and we were all talking about it. I remember feeling a bit stoic about the whole situation. That may sound bad, but you also have to remember I had just spent 10 years in a country where terrorist activity was almost a norm. I used to fall asleep in bed at night listening to bombs. I remember thinking I should be more shocked than I was. I do remember a moment of panic when I found out they evacuated the CDC (Center for Disease Control) in Atlanta - finally, it hits close to home. I think as the day and following weeks unfolded, I began to feel the pain of the 9/11 attacks much more, especially as I listened to the stories of people who were victims - or supposed to be victims. Such an unknown, scary time. Such a sad time for the deaths of so many.

Now, five years later, I sit back and think about that day, thankful to God that He kept my family and I safe. I thank Him for the strength to get through that tough time. And I pray that He heals the pain that is still present for many family and friends of victims who are still hurting.

beth's signatureashley's signature

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.