Career Wives Pt. 2

"So are you going to school? Are you studying to be a doctor?"

I get asked these questions at least once a week by my well-meaning patients. I usually get caught up in the moment and wonder, Shouldn't I be doing more with my life? I feel like many people wonder if this is it for me, a low-on-the-totem-pole research position that merely provides an income and quasi-satisfaction. It seems that many want to see me step up to the plate, so to speak, and pick up a dream career.

This feeling is always very fleeting, since my heart tells me differently. I long to be home, to focus on being my husband's helpmeet, to one day raise children for the Lord. I dream of making a house our home, of serving and ministering to my husband, and rearing godly children.

I'm stuck in the middle. I'm not in a successful career according to the world's standards, but I'm not at home either. Sometimes I can't be content with where God has place me for the moment. I get so focused about how things aren't fair, like there is a broken record player in my head. I should be at home taking care of my husband, I think, over and over and over. My heart is at home, Lord! Why am I working full-time when I want to be home? Whenever I think about my lot in life, I usually become so dissatisfied, miserable, and unhappy.

However, I know that this mindset cannot possibly be biblical. We should be trusting God with the plans of our lives, for He has known us from our mother's womb, and he even knows the number of hairs on our head! He has known us since the creation of the world. He will take care of our needs according to His purpose. Our comforting is that! We needn't worry about where we are in life, and how we can get to where we want to go. To everything there is a season, and for me, my season is working.

Whenever I feel discontent, God plants it on my heart that I should pray. God delights in hearing our prayers! We should be bringing all our troubles to Him. Paul writes:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Phil. 4:6

Praise the Lord for such comforting words!

beth's signature

2 Comments:

  1. ashley said...
    Excellent post, Beth! I utter a sound "Amen!" I like you comparing working to a season in your life. I was talking to a coworker about my frustrations, and she asked how long I would have to work most likely. I told her we've estimated about 3 years to get everything paid off. She said, "So in three years, you won't have to work again. Ever." I hadn't thought of it that way! Gosh, in 10 years when I look back, these three years will probably feel so short! It helps to put it in perspective.
    chenmeinv0 said...

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.