Food Culture

I spent this past weekend creating a meal plan for the week, and I noticed something--almost every recipe is one that would be recognized as taken from another culture. Tonight I made curry, and later this week I plan on making quesadillas, Asian style pork chops, and Greek pasta. Barbara Kingsolver mentions in her book "Animal, Vegatable, Miracle" (which I still plan to review, someday) that American food is known for what it is not, rather than what it actually is. Can you even define something by what it isn't?

Does that sound accurate to you? What defines American food, and what does a quintessential American dish look like? Is it even important to identify with a food culture?

Speaking of food from different cultures: Ashley, guess what I saw at the grocery store tonight. Inca Cola. How about I buy you a bottle for nostalgia's sake? I'll bring it by next time I'm in town. :-)

beth's signature

5 Comments:

  1. ashley said...
    Yes! I'd love some Inca Kola!! I can't believe you found it!! That is so cool. :-)
    ashley said...
    Oh as far as American food goes... We probably don't define American food because we're used to it. If you go to another country and eat another kind of food a lot, then you'll see typical American food come out. For example, here's what I think of: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, steak, hamburgers, fries, macaroni and cheese, apple pie, big turkey dinners with all the fixings... In Peru, you couldn't find that kind of food anywhere except perhaps at Chile's.
    Beth said...
    Your right, I think. It is hard to define ones own culture when immersed in it.

    I'll definitely have to swing by the store and get some Inca Cola for you. I almost bought some for myself.
    ashley said...
    What did you think of "The Cat Who Came in from the Cold"?
    Beth said...
    I thought "The Cat Who Came in from the Cold" was so cute! It was great to have something that was a really quick, light read. Thanks for the recommendation!

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.