For the Love of Gardening

I still can't believe it's that time of year already. We just had our first cold blast of the winter last week, but now is the time to order seeds and summer flowers.
If you're around me long enough, my passion for gardening and enjoying the beauty of creation comes through. I dream of gardens graced with daffodils, tulips, roses, and hydrangeas (though not in the same season!). I've tried growing bulbs for several years, but every spring something has gone awry and no flowers pop up. One year I bought these gorgeous tulips, but they never sprouted. I must not have watered them enough. The next year I purchased lovely minature daffs and some hyacinthoides (the "wild" version of hyacinths), only to have short, spindly leaves shoot up, and no flowers. This was after moving to southeastern Texas, and I've now realized that bulbs here need a chilling period in the fridge. This year I gave up on bulbs, but I'm sure I'll regain my energy for next year. And I'll have to make room in my fridge to chill the bulbs.

This year I'm turning my attention elsewhere. I've never grown roses before, but they are by far my favorite plant. I own several books and catalogs devoted to this flower. I'm head over heels in love with English roses, so this year I decided to make the plunge and buy one of these beauties. I found one that's perfect--heat-tolerant, shade-tolerant, and compact, with fragrant pale pink blooms. I can't wait to get this plant, and I hope it grows to its full potential!

I currently garden on my apartment balcony, but someday hope to have a little plot of earth in order to grow many wonderful plants. Someday I hope, when I have children of my own, that they will share my passion for gardening and learn to love God's magnificent creation as well.

I haven't quite found my sea-legs when it comes to gardening in this area, but I've found that it's worth the perserverance. I may not be able to grow everything I desire like I could "up north" (in north Georgia!), but it's worth a try. The beauty of a garden cannot be easily surpassed. It's one of God's gifts to men that we see His hand in this glorious creation. When I plant my nose in a flower, or see the petals of a rosebud unfurl, I cannot help but think of the beauty God's created around me. I can't imagine life without this joy on my little balcony.

beth's signature

2 Comments:

  1. ashley said...
    That picture of the roses is beautiful! I like roses too, although to be honest I didn't use to! I love long-stemmed roses especially. :-)

    My mom always talks about how in Florida, growing things is very different. I wonder if it's similar to Texas. Keep at it! I know you'll be able to do it. :-)

    I love plants and flowers, but they always die on me. :-( So I will appreciate people like you who can provide me with the beauty to enjoy!
    Beth said...
    Hehe. I borrowed this picture from the website where I bought my rose plant. It's a picture of the variety I got. I hope it looks as pretty as the picture!

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.