A Little Luxury


Yesterday was my dear husband's birthday! To celebrate, I bought these adorable flowers for our apartment and made him a really good dinner. The flowers were only 4 dollars, but they make the apartment feel homey.

I change the water every day, and to the water I add 1 tsp. of bleach and 1 tsp. of sugar. The bleach kills any bacteria or fungus that could prematurely kill the flowers, and the sugar provides food. I'm hoping that they will last a week!

I love thinking of creative ways to make a house feel more like a home, a place where we can get away from the world and be together. I hope to create a place my husband loves to come home to! For me, flowers are such a great way to give a home personality and warmth. They are so beautiful, and many can perfume an entire room. Some at the grocery store are even really cheap! Feel free to give me some suggestions and tips for creating a homey environment--I'll post some of them next week!

beth's signature

8 Comments:

  1. Susan said...
    What a helpful tip for flowers (bleach and sugar)! I'll have to remember that. . .
    Daniel and Teresa said...
    Making our place look "homey" in the D.R. is a little tough. Pictures are more expensive here, so I had to get a little creative. Also, our walls are brick, so that makes it tricky. I cut out pictures of food from magazines (pictures that make the food look fancy) and put them on placemats or nice paper and then on the wall of the kitchen. One of my friends used pretty placemats for wall decoration. Daniel and I put up a large wall hanging. Many times I dry my flowers and use them for decoration. IF you want to decorate windows, you can get the suction cups with hooks and hang things in your window. :)
    -Tree
    ashley said...
    I love decorating with flowers. The only problem is my darling kitties like to pull them out of the vase, so I have trouble finding a place to put them. I always try to have fresh flowers when I have houseguests, though.

    My apartment looked tremendously different once I did something very simple - added curtains. I also tried to use the same fabric that I used for the curtains in other areas of the room to connect them all - for example, a table runner or a coffee table runner, and a pillow for the bed.

    Those are all my ideas for now, but perhaps I'll leave more later if I think of them. :-)
    Beth said...
    Ah, curtains! You know, we still haven't put up any. Last night I pulled out our old curtain rods. I always thought that they'd be too big for the living room windows, but they look like they might fit!

    This weekend I'm headed to Lowe's to find screws and an electric screwdriver!
    usacomp2k3 said...
    Publix provides the best flowers around. Plus they come with a 7 day warranty, that way you don't have to worry about the bleach and sugar..just drop in the packet of stuff that comes with and call it a day. If they die prematurely, then take them back and get some more :-D
    ashley said...
    Hooray for Publix! I love that store. See, another reason for you to come back East, Beth! :-)
    Beth said...
    Hehe. I know! There are definitely no Publixes way out here in Texas. I wonder if they have the same kind of flower deal at Randall's as they do at Publix?
    Anonymous said...
    Flowers seem like a no-brainer, but, really, once you put them in your home, it dawns on you how great they really are.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.