Dumpster Diving: A Lesson in Frugality

Last night, while taking out the trash for my dear husband, I spotted them--4 beautiful picture frames, leaning against the side of the dumpster. I inspected them closely, not sure that someone would be willing to throw the beautiful frames away. But there they were, and in almost pristine condition. One was taken apart, but all the pieces were there, and the glass for it was all in one piece. I brought them home.

All 4 are the same style--very simple mahogany-colored wood, about 11"x13" in size. These would cost $30 dollars a piece at a home decor store. I think I can make a gorgeous arrangement with them above our couch, filling them with black and white pictures of my husband and me. I want to make our apartment a home, not just a place to sleep and keep our stuff.

I've not always been frugal--in fact, if you had talked to me a month ago, I would have been convinced that the best thing is to just go ahead and spend the money on stuff I "need," instead of being creative and finding cheap solutions for things that are really actually "wants." For me, this encompassed everything from clothes, to shoes, to home stuff, to the best and healthiest food. I was so focused on looking great, having a home that could grace the cover of Southern Living, and all the other "joys" that money can bring (meaning earthly joys that only satisfy for the present)--that I was neglecting my life with my heavenly Father. God has since convicted me that we should try to be more careful with the money He has given us. My husband has forever been encouraging me to focus less on the material and more on the eternal. I hope it's finally clicked. I've been so focused on money and what it can do for me, instead of focusing on the greatness of our Father.

I know in my heart that it will still be a struggle for me to focus on God and not money. I'm far from perfect, but I know that I'm a baby step closer to surrendering my all to Him.

"Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless." Ecclesiates 5:10

beth's signature

3 Comments:

  1. ashley said...
    Excellent post, Beth! I am like you - I struggle with wanting to buy things new instead of being creative with my resources. I loved how you tied frugality with giving God your focus instead of money. I think it could work the other way, too - being TOO frugal can also lead to temptation of focusing on money, and not trusting God to provide. Thank you for the reminder!
    Daniel and Teresa said...
    Thanks for the post! I have such a hard time giving "my" money to God- when it's really His in the first place. I go back and forth between wanting to buy things, and wanting to hoard my money. I struggle so much with knowing when it's ok to spend and when it's better to look for other ways. Thank you for the encouragement! :)
    -Tree/Teresa
    Jenny said...
    My husband has been trying to teach me the same types of lessons also for a number of years. He loves your method however and seems to come home from the dump with a new treasure everytime he goes. I love his eagerness to restore old things and make new things out of them, however we have aquired so much that I fear that only I need to go to the dump from now on.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.