Don't Mess with Texas

I've been tagged by Lydia! So here is a fun-filled meme about my adopted state of Texas. I have stolen all of this information from various websites around the Internet, since I'm rather new to this state and am a little behind on Texas trivia. So I'm learning, too! For those who don't know, Hubby is a native Texan, while I'm a tranplanted Georgian. Sometimes I poke fun at Texas' unique sense of state pride. They seem to think everything is bigger, longer, larger (and fatter--I've heard that Houston has the highest incidence of obesity) in Texas.

Here it goes:

  1. The phrase "Don’t Mess with Texas" is a slogan for the Texas Department of Transportation, and was developed to reduce littering on Texas roadways used as part of a statewide advertising campaign in 1986. More than its immediate success at reducing litter, however, the slogan became a Texas cultural phenomenon and the slogan has been appropriated by the citizens of Texas for general use.
  2. The Alamo is located in San Antonio. It is where Texas defenders fell to Mexican General Santa Anna and the phrase Remember the Alamo originated. The Alamo is considered the cradle of Texas liberty and the state's most popular historic site.
  3. The state was an independent nation from 1836 to 1845. Texas is the only state to enter the United States by treaty instead of territorial annexation. (And they let you know it, too. Hubby seems to think the state could easily secede if they ever feel like it.)
  4. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. The Dublin Dr Pepper, 85 miles west of Waco, still uses pure imperial cane sugar in its product. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper.
  5. Texas is home to Dell and Compaq computers and central Texas is often referred to as the Silicon Valley of the south.
  6. The worst natural disaster in United States history was caused by a hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900. Over 8000 deaths were recorded. As a result, the city of Houston, an hour north, grew in population and is now the 4th largest city in the country.
  7. Texas is a very big state. The city of El Paso, Texas is closer to Needles, California than it is to Dallas. With more than 267,000 square miles, Texas is as large as all of New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois combined. (But Alaska is bigger. Like I tell Hubby, if you cut Alaska in half, Texas becomes the third largest state :-). )
  8. The Tyler Municipal Rose Garden is the world's largest rose garden. It contains 38,000 rose bushes representing 500 varieties of roses set in a 22-acre garden.
  9. Houston is home to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The largest rodeo in the world, it attracts more than 1.8 million visitors each year.
  10. Houston is also home to the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world, with a local economic impact of $10 billion. More than 52,000 people work within its facilities, which encompass 21 million square feet. Altogether 4.8 million patients visit them each year.

Information "borrowed" from these websites:

www.50states.com/facts/texas.htm
http://www.wikipedia.com/
http://www.thc.state.tx.us/triviafun/trvdefault.html
http://www.longyangclub.org/houston/houston_facts.htm

Thanks for the meme, Lydia!


beth's signature

7 Comments:

  1. ashley said...
    That was interesting! Thanks!

    (BTW, hooray for Dr Pepper! :-) Hehe 7th grade memories.)
    Beth said...
    Hehe. I saw that Dr Pepper info and had to include it. I remember bringing a whole bunch of them down to Peru for you. Do you still drink it? That's all that Stu will drink right now. He loves it too!
    Lydia H. said...
    Thanks for participating in the state meme, Beth. I didn't realize you were a transplanted Georgian! I guess there are more people from Georgia that I read than I thought. :)

    I, too, always thought Texas' attitide was odd about everything being bigger and better. You can't help but point out how much larger Alaska is than Texas. There is no comparision. It almost looks like Alaska would take up half the size of the continental U.S. in land area. I don't know if this is really true but it does appear that way from looking at a map.

    Great facts and trivia about Texas. Also interesting where the slogan originated for "Don't Mess with Texas."

    Thanks for taking me up on the tag!
    ashley said...
    Beth: I don't drink it much anymore, but it was quite the delicacy when I lived in Peru! I am addicted to regular Coke right now. :-)
    Susan said...
    Hehe. I love how you say "regular Coke," Ashley, do indicate that you mean Coke, as opposed to coke. *smile*

    Very interesting meme, Beth. Texas certainly has a lot of history! I've always wanted to visit the Alamo.
    Kristen said...
    Kristen here (friend of ashley). I lived in Texas for 7 years: half way between Houston and Galveston. I like your list of items here about the state; I think they represent it well.
    I would have to add that Clear Lake Area (where I lived) is home to Houston Space Center and the control center which communicates to the space shuttle while it is in orbit.
    Great job. I love my state, even though I don't live there anymore. It is true that Texans have a big ego, but with good reason!
    une_fille_d'Ève said...
    Very fun info!

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.