on Homemaking

The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down. Proverbs 14:1

Before "meeting" so many encouraging women through the blogosphere, I was extremely lazy about homemaking, especially because it felt like a second job. After work I would come home, and the last thing on my mind would be cleaning. Actually, I found myself wasting countless hours in front of the TV. I felt that it was my "right" to spend the time how I desired, since I had been at work the majority of the day. But I was so unhappy. Not only was this not honoring to my husband, it was not honoring to God. I had to ask myself--Is this what I was created for? Am I supposed to be idling for 4 hours a day?

It was so encouraging to read about other women who struggle with selfishness and their own desires, and how God is moving them to be more focused on Him and on home and family. I've read so many great blogs lately about homemaking, that I thought I'd post some excerpts.

Here is a great excerpt from Erin's blog:
I happen to believe that homemaking is a calling higher than any repetitive manual task. Successful homemaking requires creativity well beyond reusing dryer lint, far more intellectual power than necessary for sock-matching, and a wealth of skills beyond scrubbing toilets. It is one of the most diverse positions available . . . I am discovering new growth opportunities within the field of homemaking every day. In fact, were I to work 24/7, I don't think I could expand my horizons far enough to exhaust all the possibilities! The days just fly too fast to allow for more than merely scratching the surface.

I'm so excited about this possibility! I cannot wait to be the wife God has created me to be. It can be so discouraging to hear the feminist perspective that homemaking is a waste of time, and I know I was hearing this view too much. I encourage everyone to head over there and read her whole post. It's a bit lenghty, but so wonderful to see how she lays out what homemaking truly is.

I've also just finished reading The True Woman, which was written by Susan Hunt. In it, Susan discusses the virtues of homemaking:
Domesticity means a devotion to home life . . . The virtue of domesticity begins with an untroubled heart that has been redeemed from sin and is focused on our heavenly home. This virtue is expressed as we prepare places on earth that depict our heavenly home. This is accomplished as we reflect the character of Jesus in our homes and churches, thus making them homey places where troubled hearts find rest and safety. So domestic deeds are rooted in our theology.

I long to be the "true woman" that God wants me to be. I know at times I won't be able to get past the routine and mundaneness of some chores, but I'm doing it for a reason--to focus more on my heavenly home by reflecting Jesus in my earthly one.

beth's signature

2 Comments:

  1. Susan said...
    I finally hopped over to Erin's blog to read the post you mentioned, Beth. It was so good! Thank you for linking it. I've occasionally read Erin's blog before, and it is always so encouraging. I owe my current view of homemaking as a calling and art (not a drudgery) to the many encouraging women I have met online. I am looking forward to the day when that may be my day-to-day calling.
    Anonymous said...
    I have been meaning to go on over to Erin's blog, since others have referred me to it regarding other subjects. Hmmm.

    Thanks for the post. The past couple of days, I've had to sew on buttons and hot glue a couple of things together. Since I can't do crafty things quickly and I had taken so long to get to them, I just "did them to get them out of the way" and did a sort of half-baked job. Although I don't think I should obsess, maybe I should focus more on practicing skills.

    By the way, feminism does not teach that homemaking is a waste of time. Feminism teaches that homemaking is just as valuable as the traditional male gender role.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.